- 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao), broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (from 1 large pomegranate)
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- nuts of your choice like pumpkin seeds, cashews, shaved/crushed almonds (optional)
Directions – Line a baking sheet with baking mat or waxed paper.
To melt the chocolate, fill a pot with water and bring to a simmer. Put chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl that fits over the pot. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Make sure water doesn’t get into the chocolate.
Remove it from heat, mix in salt, half of pomegranate seeds (and nuts if you desire). Place chocolate mixture on the baking sheet and spread it into an 8×10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle the remaining pomegranate seeds evenly over the top, pressing them into the chocolate. Refrigerate until fully set, about 30 minutes.
Break the bark into chunks with your hands (be careful not to crush the seeds), and serve.
Note: Play with shapes and ingredients. Use a whoopee pan and use a spoon to pour a mixture into it to achieve these beautiful round creations by “May I have That Recipe” girls. If you don’t have a whoppie pie pan, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon about a tablespoon of melted chocolate per coin. Lightly spread it with a butter knife of a spatula to form a circle.
Do you have a sweet tooth, feeling naughty yet want to stay away from processed chocolate? Well, how about trying some homemade “Bounty” chocolates? It will not take long and these beauties will make you feel heavenly and inspired to share your creation with friends and family… Wonderful with any tea, tropical fruit platter or a glass of wine!
Servings – 4
- 1 cup desiccated coconut meat
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbl spoon agave nectar/maple syrup/organic honey
Raw chocolate coating
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbl spoons cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/agave nectar/honey
Quick version: Melt a vegan chocolate bar in the water bath and then top the coconut centre.
Directions – Put half of the desiccated coconut in a food processor and process until it forms a runny coconut butter. Now combine with the rest of your coconut filling ingredients in the food processor and process for a few minutes until it forms a thick mixture. When done spread out flat in the bottom of a small baking tray or roll into the desired shape (squares, bowls). Place into the freezer to set. While the coconut is freezing, get to work on the raw chocolate coating.
Place the coconut oil into a small glass bowl that is sitting in a pot of hot water to form a water bath so that it can melt. Add the cacao powder and sweetener, mix thoroughly to ensure there are no chunks.
Final step… dip your coconut bars into the raw chocolate mixture, and then place onto a piece of greaseproof paper to set. Enjoy and share these guilt-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, homemade version of “Bounty” chocolate treats!
Easy and healthy desert in just a few minutes!
Have a chocolate craving…This one will have no guilt attached to it. Its easy to make, unprocessed, raw, organic and delicious. It will work perfectly with any of your favourite berries and fruit.
Servings – 2
- 2 cups of Berries or your fruit mix of choice (mango, banana, orange, pineapple etc.)
- ¼ cup of raw organic cacao powder
- 6 Pitted Dates, Raw Honey, Stevia or Organic Maple Syrup depending on how sweet you like it
- 1.5 or 2 Avocados (the more, the creamier and reacher it will become, you decide)
- Some Filtered Water or fresh unpasteurized Coconut Water for desired consistency
- 1 tea spoon of Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Fresh Mint leaves to decorate
Directions – Set your berries beautifully in two bowls or martini glasses, leave some aside to decorate the top. Add remaining ingredients into the blender (cacao, dates, water, avocado). Add water gradually to thin or thicken as desired. When it is smooth and has desired consistency pour it on your berries or fruit and decorate with mint and remaining fruit or berries. If you prefer to have it creamier than keep it in a separate bowl and use as dip and decorate your fruit or berries around it. For creamier texture you can use more avocados, coconut or olive oil in the mix. Have lots of fun with it and enjoy this fast and easy yet delicious desert!!
You can’t even taste the spinach! It simply tastes like a banana and apple smoothie… which makes this smoothie especially great for kids and anyone wanting to get more greens in their diet. There are many variations to this recipe depending on what you have in the fridge or what your tastebuds desire…Start your day by being creative!
- 3 cups of Spinach (you can add some kale as well)
- 1.5 large Bananas (frozen chunks)
- 2 cups of Water or Organic Apple Juice (or mix one to one)
- 2 Dates or Raw Honey to taste (optional if you used water as a base liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- Ginger and/or Lemon (optional)
- For more protein add Hemp or Chia Seeds (optional)
- For healthy fats and silky texture add half of avocado
Directions – Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add water, juice or ice to thin or thicken as desired. Optionally, toss in 1 teaspoon of raw honey, few dates, and ginger and lemon to spice it up or chia seeds for some healthy omega-3′s and a creamy texture. I made this recipe for three high school classes full of teenagers who judged the drink by its colour first but fell in love with the taste and were excited to try making it at home for their parents.
As a holistic practitioner, it is my passion and duty to investigate root causes of diseases and health imbalances. I spend a lot of time looking for solutions and safe, natural treatment methodologies. As mentioned in my biography, I severely compromised the integrity of my teeth as a teenager for which I have paid a large emotional and financial price in later years. This has also directed me on a journey of discovery about how an “unhealthy” mouth effects the rest of the body. I also believe that we learn deeply from our own experiences and this was the case with my dental health and my thorough enquiry into holistic dentistry.
Over the next several blog posts I will share my findings and formed beliefs about several practices in Conventional and Holistic Dentistry.
I will discuss the following:
- Amalgam or Silver Fillings (Why many choose to avoid or remove them)
- Root Canals and Toxicity (Link to cancers and coronary artery diseases)
- Dental Implant Options and what I chose
- The Electromagnetic System of the Body
It would have been nice if nature gave us a third chance to regrow brand new teeth but that is not the case – and the Tooth Fairy will not help adults! So what do we do when we become aware of a dental problem?
You always have options:
- Visit a dentist recommended by a friend or family member, find a highly rated clinic in your area, or simply find a walk-in clinic and make an appointment or
- Research and learn the difference in practice between a “regular dentist” and a “biological dentist” or “biological dentistry” and make an educated choice about who you visit and entrust your health with.
You probably wonder what “biological dentistry” means and what is the difference between a “regular dentist” and a “biological dentist”… I get asked that a lot. My simple answer is: “The difference is massive and it is like comparing the practice of a Medical Doctor and Naturopathic Doctor.”
If you are to do a simple search, Wikipedia will offer you the following definition which is quite accurate in my opinion:
“Holistic dentistry also called alternative dentistry, unconventional dentistry, biologic dentistry, or biocompatible dentistry is the equivalent of complimentary and alternative medicine for dentistry. Holistic dentistry emphasizes approaches to dental care which consider the patient’s dental health in the context of their entire physical as well as emotional or spiritual health in some cases. It is part of the alternative health movement. Although the holistic dental community is diverse in its practices and approaches, common threads include strong opposition to the use of amalgam which contain mercury and other potentially toxic materials in dental filings, nonsurgical approaches to gum disease, and the belief that root canals may endanger systemic health of the patient through the spread of trapped dental bacteria to the body.” (1)
So now lets break this statement apart to help us digest the information and proceed with what I promised to share:
AMALGAMS or SILVER FILLINGS
Amalgam fillings are also known as Mercury fillings due to the high content of elemental mercury in them.
One of the most common fillings people have in their teeth are a mix of silver, copper, tin and zinc – with the another half being mercury. At the time of placement, the composition of the filling contains approximately 50% elemental mercury. In five years, Dr. Jaro Pleva measured that only approximately 27% of the mercury remains in the tooth. At this time the filling usually falls out. Would it not be logical to ask where did the mercury go?
Let us now look at Centre for Disease Control (CDC) for a definition of this compound:
“Elemental Mercury is liquid at room temperature. It is used in some thermometers, dental amalgams, fluorescent light bulbs, some electrical switches, mining, and some industrial processes. It is released into the air when coal and other fossil fuels are burned.
The human health effects from exposure to low environmental levels of elemental mercury are unknown. Very high mercury vapor concentrations can quickly cause severe lung damage. At low vapor concentrations over a long time, neurological disturbances, memory problems, skin rash, and kidney abnormalities may occur.”(2)
Those who researched the subject in-depth understand that the latter statement made by CDC about mercury is “modest” and is my opinion is an attempt to avoid responsibility and walk around this very sensitive subject.
“A lot us have dental amalgam that contain mercury…anywhere from 4 to 19 micrograms of mercury per day can leach out of your amalgams into your body” – Sue Casteel, Environmental Health Scientist, ATSDR
EPA has also calculated a reference dose (RfD) level for methylmercury. An RfD is EPA’s estimate of the maximum acceptable daily exposure to humans that is not likely to cause harmful effects during a lifetime (see a more detailed definition in the box at right). EPA’s RfD for methylmercury, last revised in 2001, is currently 0.1 micrograms per kilogram of body weight per day (3).
You can make your own calculations based on your body weight, the number of your fillings, their weight and other factors to decide whether this toxic exposure makes any sense. I personally believe there is no reason to subject your body to the unnecessary heavy metal toxicity, in any amount, which is known to cause neurological damage and other inflammatory responses.
The Mechanism of Action:
The surface portion of the filling is emitted in the form of a vapour and has the ability to enter the lungs, soft tissues, and is often absorbed into the blood stream. Once in the blood stream, it can travel and store anywhere in the body. Mercury poisoning (also known as hydrargyria or mercurialism) is a type of metal poisoning and a medical condition caused by exposure to mercury or its compounds. Toxic effects include: damage to the brain, kidneys and lungs (4). Symptoms typically include sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation and a lack of coordination. The type and degree of symptoms exhibited depend upon the individual toxin, the dose, and the method and duration of exposure (5).
I highly encourage you to watch the following video “Smoking Teeth=Poison Gas”
What is the logic behind putting toxic metals into the body? The filled teeth get exposed to wear and tear with everyday use, bathed in liquid compounds with different temperatures and a variety of bacteria (that converts mercury to a more toxic form called methyl mercury). If you are interested to read a few pages of dental amalgam controversy read here.
Here is what I learn from Dr. Javier Morales, D.D.S, a 30 year long practising biological dentist I visited in Tijuana, Mexico:
It requires specific bacteria to convert mercury into even more deadly methyl mercury. Thomas Eyl, MD calls methyl mercury mercury ‘one of the most potent and insidious poisons in existence”. Methyl mercury is considered to be 100 times more toxic (especially to the nervous system) than liquid or vapour mercury. There are many strains of bacteria that can hook methyl groups to mercury. By an unhappy coincidence, they live in the mouth and reside on the surfaces of those fillings that give off mercury vapour (Streptococcus Mutans, Streptococcus Sanquis, Streptococcus Mitis). As many as a dozen different bacteria in the intestinal tract can also emit methylate mercury (Streptococcus, E.Coli, some Yeast, Lactobacillus etc.)(6).
What damage can Mercury or Methyl Mercury do when enter the body?
- Combine with enzymes and proteins and inactivate them for normal body function
- Combine with the transport system like hemoglobin which would result in decreased oxygen transport
- It is poisonous to certain enzyme systems
- It can combine with other metals in the filling creating a battery-like effect capable of generating electrical current and facilitating higher mercury leakage
- Mercury easily enters our body’s cells and can destroy DNA or nuclear material within those cells. This can lead to premature aging. Mercury injured cells die without replacing themselves as in normal cell growth.
Five Basic Areas Where Amalgam Removal has been Associated With Improvements in Heath (6). They are:
- Neurological (referring to the nervous system) which is divided into two subdivisions:
- Emotional (especially depression, irritability, suicidal tendencies, inability to cope)
- Motor (such as Multiple Sclerosis, seizure, facial twitches, muscle spasm)
- Cardiovascular (alteration of heart performance such as unidentified chest pains or rapid heartbeat)
- Collagen Disease (problems with cementing substances of the cells such as scleroderma, arthritis, lupus bursitis)
- Immunological (how well your body defence mechanism are working for you).
- Allergies (foods, airborne, universal factors). Mercury in combination with what you are “allergic to” will rupture white blood cells and can precipitate what is called an allergic reaction. Elimination of one of two factors can help control the situation.
So, should you run out and get your mercury fillings removed?
The simple answer is NO, do not rush. They have probably been in your mouth for years and a few more days will not make a huge difference. Make sure you first source a dentist who understands the issue, your concerns and is competent and experienced at performing a proper removal without any danger to you or the clinic staff. During the procedure, your body and your mouth should be fully protected and isolated. You should have an oxygen mask on and the room should have superior ventilation. I would also recommend to strengthen your immune system using clean organic foods, juices, super foods, and supplements before and after the procedure. You may also be interested to look into intravenous chelation therapies (ex. Vitamin C, homeopathic remedies etc.) after the procedure.
Best of health!!
- Mercury Poisoning and Dental Amalgam Toxicity by Wikipedia
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) http://www.cdc.gov/biomonitoring/pdf/Mercury_FactSheet.pdf
- Environmental Protection Agency http://www.epa.gov/mercury/exposure.htm
- Clifton JC 2nd (2007). “Mercury exposure and public health”. Pediatr Clin North Am 54 (2): 237–69, viii. doi:10.1016/j.pcl.2007.02.005. PMID 17448359.
- Levy M. (1995). “Dental Amalgam: toxicological evaluation and health risk assessment”. J Cdn Dent Assoc 61: 667–8, 671–4.
- Biological Dentistry articles by Dr. Javier Morales
A year later after my initial research on MSM Sulfur, the subject came up in a conversation with a family friend again. The next day I decided to look and see if I can find new and amazing facts about Organic Sulfur…and I did! I enquired about what MSM does in protecting us from high levels of radiation we are experiencing today. Here is some of what I found in Fukushima’s Radiation Release Article by Dr. Thomas S. Lee, NMD
“The inclusion of various sulfur-containing functions in organic molecules yielded compounds having whole-body radiation protection from lethal doses of gamma radiation in animals.”
—Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 1992 Sept.26 (9):1144-7
Dr. Thomas S. Lee, NMD writes that “After the atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, many of the Japanese people survived radiation poisoning simply by eating their traditional miso soup, which is made from fermented soybeans, sea vegetables like kombu, and root vegetables—all of which are rich in iodine and sulfur. Other natural sources of sulfur are garlic, cilantro, and pine lignans. Deep taproots of pine trees penetrate into sulfur-rich sub-soils.”
Another interesting statement says “Organic Sulfur facilitates the movement of oxygen in and out of our cells to assist in the repair of damaged or dying cells. Sulfur-containing amino acids are needed to repair protein that has been damaged and to build new cells. Those amino acids can’t be formed as well without adequate sulfur.” This simple fact explains to me MSM’s many positive health promoting functions I found and listed in my first article about Organic Sulfur called – MSM Sulfur and its Many Potential Benefits.
I see many reasons to supplement with Organic Sulfur. You may ask: If it is readily available in nature and is stored in the plants and animal products we eat why do we need to supplement with it? The answer is simple…
Yes, it’s always best to obtain all required nutrition from clean, nutrient dense, unprocessed foods in our diet but supplementing for optimal health may be necessary today. Here is why – our water and air are not the same today as they were 50-100 years ago. For example, with a widespread use of chemical fertilizers, toxic herbicides, pesticides and hundreds of other petrochemicals persistently used on our soil organic sulfur is severely depleted in our food supply. Depleted soil means that our food no longer provides the amount of dietary sulfur and other important elements that our ancestors once had, chemical fertilizers break the sulfur circle. In addition, as soon as greens, vegetables and fruits are picked the sulfur in them starts diminishing. How long does the food you eat travels to be on your table? Lastly, our bodies are in a much higher demand today than ever before due to our daily toxic environmental exposure and stress levels which deplete us of this and other nutrients daily.
Here is some more interesting information from the article I just read, it’s called Super Sulfur – MSM based mineral antioxidant:
“It is found in all foods, milk, fruits, meats and vegetables. MSM is a natural form of organic sulfur found in all living organisms. Sulfur is the 3rd most prevalent element found in your body. Your body is made up of water, salt and MSM…
…Although present in most unprocessed foods, MSM is readily lost due to its unstable nature. Unless the diet is composed of primarily raw foods, it is unlikely that sufficient MSM will be ingested to significantly contribute to the nutritional sulfur requirement. MSM supplementation can serve as a normal dietary source of sulfur. MSM has a vitamin like moderating or normalizing influence on body functions.”
With everything I learned and understand about Organic Sulfur I choose to use it daily, including it into my already healthy diet gives me great satisfaction.
Read articles I referenced below, search for more online, and make your own educated choice.
Learn more about MSM Sulfur on the following websites:
The Sulfur Study, Early results of an experimental study using Organic Sulfur by Patrick McGean, Director, Cellular Matrix Study http://www.naturodoc.com/sulfurstudy.htm
Organic Sulfur, a Crucial Component of a Healthy Diet http://www.organicsulfur-msm.ca/
The Vanishing Nutrient That Your Skin, Muscle and Bones Depend On by Dr. Mercola http://products.mercola.com/msm-sulfur-supplement/
Super Sulfur – MSM based mineral antioxidant http://www.familyhealthnews.com/articles-super-sulfur.html
Disclaimer: This article is intended for information purposes only. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regime, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.
Studying health and nutrition for many years I learned a lot about many amazing molecules and compounds that exist in nature and make up our bodies. These include water, carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, probiotics and an array of other nutrients.
With what I studied in school and on my own, I never came across MSM Sulfur (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) until I became aware of its importance in Vitamin C formulas. What I started finding kept me up at nights with excitement! I was astonished at the power of this one compound and how little we use it in the natural health community.
If you visit a nutrition store and check MSM Sulfur labels for its recommended use (or purpose), you will find the following statement: “Helps to relieve the pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, and osteopathic pain.” It’s mostly recommended for support of bone and joint repair only, which in my opinion, is a huge understatement of its true potential.
Continuing on with my discovery I set out to find out as much as I could about it and made a list of benefits that I could share with others. Here is what I found:
- It restores bones and connective tissues, helping to relieve the pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, and osteoarthritic pain
- It greatly improves Vitamin C absorption and is recommended to accompany Vitamin C (in the supplement formulas); delivery to the problem area is much improved when used together
- It is water soluble and is the third largest nutrient in the body
- It improves the body’s ability to make its own antioxidants – glutathione, which is present and vital for every cell
- It helps reduce inflammation, as a fantastic free radical scavenger and detoxifying agent
- It maintains the body’s defense system, protecting it from the flu and colds
- It is referred to as a ‘beauty element’ and helps improve health of our skin, nails and hair (for example: it makes up to 35% of our hair!)
- It makes bonds between proteins more flexible
- It improves flexibility in tissues, through increased cell permeability
- It is efficient at cleansing the colon and flushing out parasites
- It improves flexibility and permeability of the intestinal wall, which helps increase nutrient absorption
- It can help with varicose veins, red spots and other dermal problems
- It helps normalize blood pH
- It can regulate diabetes; sulfur is necessary in the production of insulin, as well as other sulfur-based amino acids necessary for the metabolism of carbohydrates
- It helps reduce allergy symptoms by being an efficient antioxidants
- It helps prevent medication over-reaction
- Many vitamins and minerals need sulfur bonds, these include: coenzyme Q10, selenium, calcium, magnesium, pantothenic acid, A,C,D, E all enzymes and amino acids (if you don’t have enough organic sulfur a lot of vitamins and minerals run through you)
- It helps detoxify aluminum and lithium from the brain, and can be helpful for Alzheimer patients
- It regulates cholesterol, lack of MSM results in elevated cholesterol
- It helps dealing with yeast and Candida
- It helps with glaucoma, likely due to its ability to increase bloods pH and antioxidant potential
- It helps with macular degeneration; MSM is a potent building material that helps rebuild the damaged tissue
- A study of the periodic table shows sulfur, selenium, and tellurium are the only oxygen transport minerals
Is this not an incredible list of benefits? For me, these findings confirm that nature (and all creation) is incredibly intelligent. Organic Sulfur it is given a fair chance and is used respectfully, it will facilitate and support the body’s ability to heal.
Make sure to find high quality Organic Sulfur. I found statements that most MSM sold in health food stores is only 39% sulfur (the rest is methyl cellulose and Silicon Dioxide, an anti caking ingredient that interferes with the uptake of sulfur to the cells.)
Explore this compound further and share your thoughts with me.
Disclaimer: This article is intended for information purposes only. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regime, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.